Date(s) - Apr 16, 2023
4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Concert: “The Year to Save the Earth”
- A Multimedia Musical Experience, by Jim Scott, UU Musician
- at Mountain Vista UU, 3235 W Orange Grove Rd in Tucson AZ 85741.
The concert will be at 4:00 PM and there is no admission charge.
Baskets will be available for donation.
Here’s Jim’s description of the concert:
- Mixing powerful songs and beautiful projected images — “The Year to Save the Earth” takes us from celebration to grieving, protest, learning and positive vision for the planet.
- Jim Scott’s lyrical melodies and outspoken poetry celebrate what’s beautiful, amazing, and fragile — nurturing a spirit of collective action for our planet.
- The message that the time is now!
- As well as hard reality — the program’s message is one of optimism.
- There are many invitations for people to join in the singing — and then to get involved in environmental action.
- Facing the urgency of the environmental crisis — the songs challenge us to feel, to learn and to act.
Some songs in the concert. The titles speak for themselves:
- A Song for the Earth (the water cycle and pollution)
- Still the Sun Will Shine (solar vs nuclear power)
- We Are the Earth (not just occupiers of creation)
- Noah (climate change, rising tides)
- The Oneness of Everything (the interdependent web of all life)
- The Rainforest Song (how everything goes together)
- Immigrants (climate displacement and refugee crisis)
- The World Needs Your Voice (commit to social/political change)
- – plus more songs that express our grief, our rage, and our vision
Putting ourselves in harmony…
- is the first step,
- and singing together
- opens hearts
- and inspires
- and then a movement.
We hope “The Year to Save the Earth” will
- provoke thought,
- further discussion and
- move participants
- to take the vision home with us.
Jim Scott biography (see website)
Prolific composer guitarist Jim Scott brings a warmth and humor with his jazz and world music influenced songs. He uses well a prodigious guitar mastery and clear voice to touch hearts with his messages of peace, justice, and the Earth. Over four decades, he has visited more than 700 UU churches. Gather the Spirit and several other songs of his are in the UU Hymnbooks. Formerly a member of the Paul Winter Consort, Jim was composer of their celebrated Missa Gaia/Earth Mass and sang their anthem song Common Ground.
Jim has toured the world, recorded nine CDs of original music and published a growing line of choral works. One of the originators of the Green Sanctuary program, Jim also compiled the Earth and Spirit Songbook, an anthology of over 100 songs of Earth by many contemporary composers. He recently received a NEA grant to produce “The Year to Save the Earth,” a multimedia concert of Jim’s powerful songs illustrated with beautiful striking images. He is making plans to take this program on tour everywhere he can in 2023.