Summer Social Justice News
There are many things you can do to help others this summer.
1) Please help Tucson families whose children attend public school, but cannot afford supplies. These supplies will enable our communities children to succeed in school.
2) On Sunday, June 18, Our Family Services will receive half of all non-pledge income on Share the Plate Day. Their services include programs that range from affordable apartments for low-income families and individuals, to emergency shelter services for families, couples and singles, to street outreach to runaway, homeless and street-dependent youth.
In trying to build stronger, safer communities, they also offer counseling, services to help elders live independently, information and referral, and a senior companion program. But perhaps their most unique community services are the Center for Community Dialogue and their mediation services. The Center offers training and a variety of services to help Southern Arizonans talk about challenging issues in a skilled, civil and respectful way. The mediation program has, for more than 35 years, helped people resolve family, work or neighbor disagreements without going to court.
To see a complete list of their programs and services, visit their website http://www.ourfamilyservices.org. Please plan to give generously to support this outstanding community organization. You might also want to consider volunteering. Volunteers who give their time and talents are an integral part of Our Family - from volunteer community mediators who help their neighbors resolve their disagreements, to seniors who help other seniors reduce the loneliness in their lives. Counseling and case-management interns can earn school credit and gain valuable experience in their programs working with young people, families or seniors, and opportunities are available for people who speak Spanish.
4) Escape the heat, attend Bisbee pride June 17 & 18, http://www.bisbeepride.com/
5) Join UUJAZ in Payson, AZ, July 14-16, for our first-ever Young Adult Retreat!
Get together with UU young adults from North, Central, and Southern AZ to spend some time relaxing and some time exploring intersectional organizing! The retreat is designed using resources from #LoveResists, Organizing on the Side of Love, and the UUA Building the World We Dream About curriculum. Our hope is to spark discussion and explore together, as UUJAZ shifts toward an intersectional framework.
6) Sign the petition to put the law regarding school vouchers up for a public vote. Check at the office for the petition or see Beth Britton for more information. PLEASE check instructions before singing, if your signature goes under the signature line it is invalid and not counted.
7) SUMMER CAMP! Social Justice (Family) Camp August 8-12 at Camp de Benneville Pines. See attached flyer for WTW- Walk the Walk.
8) Going to General Assembly? Join the social justice conference by registering at http://www.tiny.cc/cUUsan
9) And remember, UUCT collects food donations for the Community Food Bank and clothing for No More Deaths ALL YEAR LONG. The food bank donations are in Fuller room across from the kitchen and No More Deaths is in the foyer to Holland Sanctuary.
And the big 10: Give yourself a hand! Thank you to everyone who voted, Share the Plate for 2017/18 is:
July 16, 2017-Diaper Bank of Southern Arizona www.diaperbank.org
August 20, 2017-IRC (International Rescue Committee) www.rescue.org/united-states/tucson-az
September 17, 2017- UUJAZ http://www.uujaz.org/
October 22, 2017-Reveille Men's Chorus www.reveillemenschorus.org
November 19, 2017- Youth on their Own https://yoto.org/
December 17, 2017 No More Deaths http://forms.nomoredeaths.org/en/
Holiday Services - Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona www.communityfoodbank.org
January 21, 2018 - Sister Jose's Women's Shelter http://srjosewomensshelter.org
February 18, 2017-ICS (Interfaith Community Services) www.icstucson.org
March 18, 2017-NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Health/Tucson) www.namisa.org
April 15, 2017- Sierra Club, Rincon Chapter www.sierraclub.org/arizona/rincon
May 20, 2017- Hermitage No-Kill Cat Shelter www.hermitagecatshelter.org
June 17, 2018- Southern Arizona CUUPS www.facebook.com/SAZCUUPS/